Tips for proper lens care
You may not need this guide if you’re wearing daily lenses. Daily contact lens users start each day with a fresh pair straight from the box. At the end of the day, a daily lens is thrown away so there’s really no need for extra care. However, if you’re using lenses with a longer replacement schedule, such as bi-weekly or monthly lenses (or even quarterly or annual coloured lenses), we’ve got a few tips on lens care for you.
While wearing lenses, all sorts of dust, deposits, bacteria and other impurities will gradually start settling on the lens surface. That’s why it’s so important to properly take care of your contacts! First thing you’ll need is a quality lens solution to clean and store your lenses in. You can use either a multi-purpose solution (also known as universal or all-in-one solution), or you can use a peroxide solution. If you’re taking care of coloured lenses, you may want to avoid peroxide solution as it’ll destroy the colours.
Taking care of lenses with a multi-purpose solution
Multi-purpose solutions are the least demanding type of solution. As they may vary according to the manufacturer or exact type, it’s important to check the package leaflet before use. However, each multi-purpose solution has the following things in common:
- always wash your hands first before handling the lenses – ideally with an antibacterial soap – and then carefully dry them
- rinse the lens case with the solution and fill it with a fresh dose of solution
- remove the first lens from the eye — it’s good to always start with the same lens so as not to mix up your lenses when storing them
- place the lens in the palm of your hand, cover it with a few drops of solution and gently rub it with your finger – this type of “rubbing” helps remove dirt and deposits
- then, rinse the lens again with some solution in order to wash away those deposits
- store the lens in the case filled with solution
- repeat the process for the second contact lens
- leave the lenses in the solution for the time specified by the manufacturer – ideally overnight
- after the necessary time has passed, remove the lenses, rinse them with some fresh solution and they’re ready to be inserted
- pour out the used solution from the case, rinse it with some fresh solution and leave it to dry
Multi-purpose solutions are also suitable for cleaning coloured contact lenses.
Taking care of lenses with a peroxide solution
These solutions require extra care and attention. It’s very important to always strictly follow the package instructions. Peroxide solutions are the most effective lens cleaning liquids. They excel at removing dirt and deposits but if you do not use the solution properly, you can injure your eyes. So, make sure to thoroughly read the leaflet, to never apply this type of solution directly in the eye and to let the peroxide fully neutralise during the cleaning process.
Finally, though we’ve mentioned it before: don’t use peroxide on coloured lenses because it will negatively affect the colours.
By following all necessary lens care procedures, you’ll be able to avoid nasty infections and ensure your lenses stay in great shape throughout their designated period of use.
These TopVue lenses require care:
TopVue Premium contact lenses are highly breathable bi-weekly lenses made from a silicone-hydrogel material. The combination of silicone and hydrogel allows for greater oxygen flow to the cornea, meaning the eyes are able to breathe easier. With the addition of sodium hyaluronate, moisture is distributed evenly throughout day, keeping the lenses hydrated and comfortable all day.
TopVue Premium for Astigmatism are bi-weekly toric contact lenses. Created using a combination of silicone and hydrogel materials, they provide the eyes with high oxygen flow for increased breathability. TopVue Premium lenses are also enhanced with sodium hyaluronate, which helps distribute moisture evenly throughout the day.
As well as providing dioptric correction, our monthly silicone-hydrogel lenses for astigmatism also offer additional flexibility with a selection of cylinder and axis measurements. TopVue Air for Astigmatism provide exceptionally clear vision while supplying a steady flow of oxygen throughout the day. The lenses remain soft, moisturised, and comfortable all day long.
Monthly TopVue Plus lenses are made from a hydrogel material with a high moisture content. The increased hydration of the lens, combined with the softness of the material, ensures comfort from the very first use. The lenses are lightly tinted blue for easier handling and application.
These TopVue lenses don’t need to be cleaned:
Daily hydrogel contact lenses are available in a wide range of shades that naturally change the colour of your eye. Available in two versions, with or without dioptric correction, TopVue Color are great for everyday wear as well as social events, and can also be worn with glasses.